Friday, August 24, 2018

Mina at Summer Camp

As I walked out of my tent, I noticed a woman sitting alone by her tent. The sun was about to set and most people were partying with their friends. And the ones too tired to party sat with their friends in their little circles, laughing. Initially, I passed by her. Someone was waiting for me by the lake, and I was eager to meet up. 

But something stopped me mid-track. Nobody sat alone by their tent in the middle of Summer Camp unless. I went back and greeted her. She responded with a warm smile. "What you're doing here alone?" "Just catching some breaths". "Are you alone? You wanna walk back to the arena with me?" "No thank you. I'm good here." She smiled and waved me off. 

"No. Please come with me. I am all alone. I'm new here." I gave her my hand and maybe she felt bad for me, she got up and we embraced each other. It was that easy, because the rest of the Camping days, we became friends. And she became the highlight of my Summer Camp. 

Before meeting Mina, I had plans. I'd studied and marked all the sessions, talks and games I'd attend to. But then, we talked about her life. We hugged each other, cried together and encouraged each other. 

Mina's from Philadelphia and had recently divorced her husband of 18 years (She looked so young, she made me look like her grandmother). Married so early she had 3 kids aged 24, 19 and 14. Worked in CSA and was recently homeless after the divorce. Found her husband's affairs in the worst way possible, lost everything she held dear right before her eyes in one moment. 

Have you ever watched a woman so vulnerable and strong at the same time? A woman who had her heart completely broken yet had the strength to pick up and try to heal herself? A woman who ensures that her work and responsibilities never once show her bleeding, broken real self?

At times like that, you wish you were God. 


No comments: